Welcome to your recovery journey
What to expect when you start telehealth addiction treatment with our app
Are you ready to take the first step and begin your journey to recovery? Congratulations! It’s a courageous decision that will transform your life in profound ways. That first step can be the hardest when you don’t know what’s coming next, so we wanted to share what you can expect with our telehealth addiction recovery program and how we’ll be with you on the path to a healthier you.
At Affect, we’re committed to helping you achieve lasting recovery and to providing you with the support and tools you need to succeed. Many of us are in recovery ourselves and all of us have dedicated ourselves to helping people who struggle with substance use. Having helped thousands of people find their power to change, we understand that starting addiction treatment can feel daunting. This guide will help you know what to expect during your first experience with telehealth addiction treatment and how to maximize your chances of success for sustained recovery from addiction to alcohol and drugs.
How Does it Start?
Everyone who reaches the moment when they realize they need to reconsider their relationship to alcohol or drugs gets there in their own way. People who are “sober curious” may try a sober app to moderate on their own, friends and family may have staged an intervention, or some serious consequences may have resulted. It could be any number of things. But everyone has something in common: We tried to control our drinking or drug use and couldn’t do it. We realized we’re no longer in control and need to change, and we need help to do it.
After downloading the app and signing up to use it, you’ll hear back from us through a text message or e-mail. We’ll ask you if you want to try using the app on your own, if you are ready to enter the full program, or if you just want to talk to someone about where you are.
We’ve found that even if someone is “sober curious” and looking to use the app to manage and reduce their use, talking confidentially with an objective and non-judgmental counselor helps to sort things out. Affect is not a program that requires people to stop drinking or using completely and we don’t discharge people for relapses. We view every additional sober day as a step towards better health, and we work with you to develop achievable goals.
As a licensed treatment provider, Affect accepts health insurance and Medicaid. We will check your information and see what your coverage is. Even if you don’t know if you have insurance, we can help you figure that out. Many people are covered by Medicaid and don’t realize it.
When you want to talk, one of our Treatment Consultants will contact you. They’ll listen to your story, give you some information about your options, and schedule an appointment to talk with one of our licensed counselors through a video meeting in the app.
A Warm Welcome and Comprehensive Assessment
When you talk to us, you can expect a warm and compassionate welcome from our care team. We understand that discussing substance use and seeking treatment for addiction can be a vulnerable experience, and our counselors provide a safe and non-judgmental environment for you to share your story. Your counselor will ask some questions to better understand your unique needs, challenges, and goals. This may include a medical evaluation, a psychological evaluation, and an assessment of your substance use history.
Creating Your Personalized Recovery Journey
Based on the information gathered during that conversation, your care team, which includes Treatment Consultants, Patient Advocates, licensed counselors, doctors, and nurses, will work with you to create a personalized treatment plan that is tailored to your specific needs. This treatment plan will serve as a roadmap for your recovery journey and will be continuously reviewed and adjusted as needed to ensure that it remains effective. Our treatment plans are evidence-based and may include a combination of therapies, counseling, and support groups, depending on your individual needs. Everything happens through the app.
The app is the guide for your recovery journey. It’s designed using gaming principles that engage people and keep them going. You’ll earn points that can be redeemed for financial rewards for the “challenges” you complete successfully. These are proven to keep people motivated and moving towards their goals. With each win, you are winning your life back. We’re here with you every step of the way.
Detoxification, If Needed
If your assessment reveals that you need medical detoxification, or withdrawal management, our team will get you into a safe and supportive environment for this process. Detoxification is the process of safely removing substances from your body and managing withdrawal symptoms that may arise. You can keep working with the app during detoxification.
Therapy and Counseling
Therapy and counseling are essential components of addiction treatment, as they address the underlying psychological and emotional aspects of addiction. Affect uses a variety of evidence-based therapies that are proven to be effective in helping individuals overcome addiction. These may include individual counseling, group therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), motivational interviewing, and more. Not all therapies are appropriate for all people, and some people are uncomfortable doing things like group therapy. We understand and respect this. Our experienced and empathetic therapists will work with you to find the right approach, explore the root causes of your addiction, develop healthy coping skills, and learn strategies to manage triggers and cravings. Each time you attend a session, you will earn points that can be redeemed.
Support Groups and Community
Addiction can be an isolating experience, and support from peers who understand what you are going through can be invaluable. Affect’s support groups are led by trained counselors who are experienced in addiction recovery. These groups provide a safe and supportive environment where you can connect with others who are on a similar journey, share your experiences, and learn from each other. Support groups can be a powerful source of inspiration, encouragement, and accountability, and can significantly enhance your chances of successful recovery.
Holistic Therapies and Wellness Activities
In addition to traditional therapies and counseling, our app’s “challenges” provide holistic therapies and wellness activities that promote physical, mental, and emotional well-being. These may include yoga, meditation, art therapy, music therapy and more. You earn rewards through the app as you work your way through them. These help you develop healthy coping skills, manage stress, and cultivate a sense of balance and self-care in your life. Taking care of your overall well-being is crucial in recovery, as it helps you build a solid foundation for lasting sobriety.
Supporting your Whole Life
Affect is unique in providing its members support in things like getting healthcare, finding employment opportunities, places to live, and more. Our Patient Advocates are integrated members of your care team who work with you when you need help. We want you to be able to focus on your recovery and know that it is hard if your life is unstable.
Aftercare Planning and Continuing Support
As you progress through your addiction treatment program, our team will work with you to develop a comprehensive plan that will support your ongoing recovery. This may include connecting you with local support groups, providing ongoing counseling or therapy, offering relapse prevention strategies, and providing resources for continued support in your community.
Recovery is a lifelong journey, and our commitment to your success never stops.
How to be Successful in Your Recovery
Starting addiction treatment is a significant step, and maximizing your chances of success requires dedication, effort, and a willingness to make positive changes in your life. You can do this.
Here are some of the ways we work with you to have a successful recovery journey:
- Embrace a Positive Mindset: Recovery begins with believing that change is possible, and believing in yourself that you have the power to change. You have taken a courageous step towards it. Embrace a positive mindset and believe in your ability to overcome addiction. Surround yourself with supportive and positive influences, and stay committed to your recovery goals.
- Follow Your Treatment Plan: Your treatment plan is designed to support your recovery journey. It is important to follow it consistently and actively participate in all therapies, counseling, and support groups as recommended by your treatment team. Be open and honest in your sessions, and actively engage in the therapeutic process. We don’t judge, and we’re here to help you reconnect
- Build a Support System: Surround yourself with a supportive network of people who are committed to your recovery. Attend support groups and connect with others who understand your journey. Avoid triggers and individuals who may enable or encourage your substance use.
- Practice Self-Care: Recovery requires taking care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally. Make self-care a priority in your life. Eat well, exercise regularly, get enough sleep, and practice stress-management techniques, such as meditation or yoga. Take time for hobbies and activities that bring you joy.
- Develop Healthy Coping Skills: Addiction often develops as a coping mechanism for dealing with stress, emotions, or past trauma. Learning healthy coping skills is essential for maintaining lasting recovery. Work with your therapists to develop healthy coping strategies that work for you, such as mindfulness, relaxation techniques, or assertiveness training.
- Be Honest and Accountable: Honesty and accountability are crucial in recovery. Be honest with yourself and others about your thoughts, feelings, and struggles. Take responsibility for your actions, and be accountable for your progress. If you slip or relapse, be honest with your treatment team and seek support immediately.
- Practice Patience and Persistence: Recovery is a journey, and it takes time. Be patient with yourself and the process. There may be challenges and setbacks along the way, but don’t give up. Stay committed to your recovery goals and keep moving forward, one step at a time.
- Create a Healthy Environment: Your environment plays a significant role in your recovery. Create a healthy and supportive environment by removing triggers, avoiding places or people associated with your substance use, and making positive changes in your living space. Surround yourself with individuals who support your recovery and create a safe and nurturing space for yourself.
- Educate Yourself about Addiction: Knowledge is power. Educate yourself about addiction, its causes, triggers, and effects. Understand the science behind addiction and learn about relapse prevention strategies. The more you know about addiction, the better equipped you are to manage it and make informed decisions in your recovery journey.
- Celebrate Your Successes: Recovery is a challenging process, and every milestone is worth celebrating. Acknowledge and celebrate your successes, no matter how small they may seem. Reward yourself for your progress and use positive reinforcement to motivate yourself to continue on the path of recovery.
Realize the Rewards of Recovery
When you choose to work with us as your partner in recovery, you’ll find you’re rewarded for your progress in every step of your journey. The farther you go and the clearer your mind becomes, you will start to see that the real rewards of recovery are found in the life you are creating for yourself. You have the power to change.
We’re ready to go. Let’s get started.